[Cerowrt-devel] Strange behavior with macbook and DNS

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Wed Oct 24 20:06:48 EDT 2012

Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
    >> I think something is up with the Avahi reflector, but haven't had
    >> time to look into it.

    DT> This is an issue with avahi's mdns tying names to mac addresses,
    DT> and this being a routed, rather than bridged, network. It's
    DT> actually a flaw in mdns's design which I hope will be worked on
    DT> in the new dnsext working group at the ietf.

So, basically, each time the mac goes from wired to wireless, the
reflector sees the name, says, "hey, that name is in use over *THERE*",
and declares a conflict.

If tied to mac address, then I'd expect at most two names (one for the
wired mac, one for the wireless mac), which is also suboptimal, but
understandable.   SO I think you are saying that in addition to this
protocol problem, there is also some bug in the reflector causing all
previous names to be taken?

(I'm asking mostly so that I can make sure that mdnsext can capture this
as part of the problem statement.  BTW: who will be in Atlanta?)

--
Michael Richardson
-on the road-