[Cerowrt-devel] Ubnt builds

Andy S andys at bristolwireless.net
Fri Sep 7 04:54:43 EDT 2012

On 6 September 2012 17:20, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> The ubnt builds are a bit out of date (part of my test deployment of
> fq_codel at a campground here - the yurtlab!
> http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/lupin/yurtlab.jpg which is
> blessedly free
> of competing wifi signals)
>
> They are also a little specialized. Among other things, they have my
> ssh public key in them,
> and are keyed to local dns, they rely on the babel protocol to route
> and mesh together, although they do come up presently on a fixed ip
> address that needs to be changed, instead of relying on AHCP for their
> IPs and dns.
>
> All of quagga (including OSPF) IS built, it's just that babel is the
> default.
>
> In working with this build and test deployment I exposed some problems
> with memory usage in codel and the ath9k driver. Quagga will get
> OOM-killed under heavy loads, such as RTP and UDP flooding across
> multiple diffserv values, on the 2HP boxes in AP mode. The p2p
> backbone (nanostation M5s) has never crashed on me.
>
> This points long term towards developing a "mfq_codel", which would
> have one qdisc and *one* set of buffers that controls all four
> hardware queues. However, try as I might, I haven't wrapped my head
> around how to merge the code for sch_mq and sch_fq_codel, in a way
> that would work. (?)
>
> Aside from that it's working rather well, and the hacks I have in
> place now to reduce skb size seem to help a lot.
>
> Now that the memory problems are mostly beaten I will be doing a
> respin and re-deployment towards the end of the month. If I can build
> something a little more generic and easy to deploy on ubnt for others,
> I will do so, getting to where all this code runs well in 32MB is
> rather important to me.
>
> Let me know.
>
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 4:17 AM, Andy S <andys at bristolwireless.net> wrote:
> > I see that there are UBNT builds available for specific deployment
> > scenarios; we use Ubiquiti Bullet M5's on some parts of our (city-wide)
> > 5.8Ghz wireless network, but they don't support OSPF, so if any of the
> > builds of Cerowrt support Bullet M5 and OSPF (I see the Quagga-ospf
>  modules
> > available in the main devel builds) - we would be interested to
> hear/test!
> >
> > Cheers,

> > --
> > http://www.bristolwireless.net/  | 0117 325 0067 |
> > sip:info at bristolwireless.net
> > Bristol Wireless
> > Windmill Hill City Farm
> > Philip Street
> > Bedminster
> > Bristol BS3 4EA

> Dave Täht
> http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki - "3.3.8-17 is out
> with fq_codel!"

Sounds great, still none the wiser as to whether your builds will work on
the Bullet or not, as the Bullet and NanoStation run different software by
default.

Most of what you guys do is waaay over my head, but I'm keen to try stuff
out, although this may necessitate a sacrificial Bullet!

Keep us posted!

*http://www.bristolwireless.net/* <http://www.bristolwireless.net/>*  | **0117