[Cerowrt-devel] CeroWrt 3.10.24-1/Wifi problems

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 10:04:44 EST 2013

I played around a bit more with the wifi on CeroWrt 3.10.24-1, and discovered the ‘wifi' command gives a bunch errors. I don’t know if these are relevant. I’ve included the output of the wifi command, as well as the /etc/config/wireless file’s contents.

The current state of wifi is:s

- The wifi channels are distinct between my primary router (1 & 36) and the secondary (6 & 44)
- In my secondary router, I used a “+” in the SSIDs to distinguish them from my primary router defaults.

- None of the SSIDs allow my computer to get an address
- My computer and wifi analyzer [1] show that CeroWrt is only transmitting some of the six SSIDs
- I ran the ‘wifi’ command three times and got different results each time. The attempts are detailed below.

I hope this is useful.

Rich

[1] I’m using farproc’s wonderful WifiAnalyzer on Android (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer)

======= Try #1 - the following SSIDs work/don’t work =======
	CEROwrt+ (sw00) OK
	CEROwrt+guest (gw00) OK
	CEROwrt+guest5 (gw10) OK
	babel (2.4 & 5 GHz) (gw01 & gw11) OK
	CEROwrt5+ (sw10) No Signal

root at cerowrt:~# wifi
command failed: Too many open files in system (-23)
command failed: Device or resource busy (-16)
Configuration file: /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf
nl80211: Could not configure driver mode
nl80211 driver initialization failed.
hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface gw00 wasn't started
hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface gw00 wasn't started
hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface sw00 wasn't started
Failed to start hostapd for phy0
command failed: Too many open files in system (-23)
command failed: Too many open files in system (-23)
command failed: Device or resource busy (-16)
Configuration file: /var/run/hostapd-phy1.conf
nl80211: Could not configure driver mode
nl80211 driver initialization failed.
hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface gw10 wasn't started
hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface sw10 wasn't started
Failed to start hostapd for phy1
root at cerowrt:~#

====== Try # 2 ==============

CEROwrt+guest OK
CEROwrt+guest5 OK
babel (2.4 & 5GHz) drops out for 3-10 seconds every minute or so
CEROwrt5+ No Signal
CEROwrt+ No Signal

root at cerowrt:~# wifi
command failed: Device or resource busy (-16)
Configuration file: /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf
nl80211: Could not configure driver mode
nl80211 driver initialization failed.
hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface gw00 wasn't started
hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface gw00 wasn't started
hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface sw00 wasn't started
Failed to start hostapd for phy0
command failed: Too many open files in system (-23)
command failed: Too many open files in system (-23)
command failed: Device or resource busy (-16)
Configuration file: /var/run/hostapd-phy1.conf
nl80211: Could not configure driver mode
nl80211 driver initialization failed.
hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface gw10 wasn't started
hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface sw10 wasn't started
Failed to start hostapd for phy1
root at cerowrt:~#

====== Try #3 ==========

CEROwrt+ OK
CEROwrt+guest OK
CEROwrt+guest5 OK
babel 2.4GHz OK
babel 5GHz drops out for 3-10 seconds every minute or so
CEROwrt5+ Does Not Work (no signal)

root at cerowrt:~# wifi
command failed: Device or resource busy (-16)
Configuration file: /var/run/hostapd-phy0.conf
nl80211: Could not configure driver mode
nl80211 driver initialization failed.
hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface gw00 wasn't started
hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface gw00 wasn't started
hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface sw00 wasn't started
Failed to start hostapd for phy0
command failed: Too many open files in system (-23)
command failed: Too many open files in system (-23)
command failed: Device or resource busy (-16)
Configuration file: /var/run/hostapd-phy1.conf
nl80211: Could not configure driver mode
nl80211 driver initialization failed.
hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface gw10 wasn't started
hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface sw10 wasn't started
Failed to start hostapd for phy1
root at cerowrt:~#

======== Wireless config file ====================

root at cerowrt:~# cat /etc/config/wireless

config wifi-device 'radio0'
	option type 'mac80211'
	option path 'pci0000:00/0000:00:11.0'
	list ht_capab 'SHORT-GI-40'