[Cerowrt-devel] Intuition of this guy improved his 1, 5 Mbit DSL line

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Wed Dec 18 10:54:28 EST 2013

Hi Maciej,

On Dec 18, 2013, at 12:23 , Maciej Soltysiak <maciej at soltysiak.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Story from slashodot:
> A guy moved to a low speed DSL connection. When describing what he's
> done to make it work better, among other things, he mentioned he
> configured QoS to be below his cap. He put 1100 Mb limit on a 1500 Mb
> line.

So he is shaping down to  73.34% of his link, probably following the instructions from http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/qos-tutorial.68795/ . From personal experience I can say that with cerowrt's aqm and the proper link layer I get decent latency results with just shaping down to 95% of link rate.
	I just checked and it does not seem that the current tomato fork he uses takes the link layer into account….  So trying cerowrt seems a worthwhile experiment for him to undertake. But from the writeup I assume he is quite happy as is and coming down from 32Mbit/s no matter what 1.5Mbit/s will feel slower.