[Cerowrt-devel] treating 2.4ghz as -legacy?

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Wed Dec 18 11:54:41 EST 2013

dpreed at reed.com wrote:
    > The other problem is antenna directionality for the transmit and receive
    > antennas.  Indeed almost all AP antennas have flattened doughnut radiation
    > patterns in free-space.   Worse, however, is that indoors, the antenna patterns
    > are shaped by reflectors and absorbers so that the energy is highly
    > variable,

Is the donut aligned with the flat direction of the 3800, or another
direction?

My 3800 is mounted on a (concrete) wall, just below ground level in my
basement.  I have good 2.4Ghz coverage in my bedroom, two stories up.

(This is constrast to the 54gl I used to use, which was above my TV in the
den, but it was just an AP-router.  My 3800 is next to the 24-port switch,
and the DSL modem, since it does everything.  Another 3800 is going into the
attic, as soon as I dig through the insulation to run cables)

As for having identical ESSID on the same layer-2... I think that perhaps
cerowrt/openwrt/homenet should consider a wireless AP discovery attribute in
the routing protocol, and given that, run GRE over IPv6 ULA between APs.