[Cerowrt-devel] treating 2.4ghz as -legacy?

Toke Høiland-Jørgensen toke at toke.dk
Wed Dec 18 13:18:59 EST 2013

Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca> writes:

> As for having identical ESSID on the same layer-2... I think that
> perhaps cerowrt/openwrt/homenet should consider a wireless AP
> discovery attribute in the routing protocol, and given that, run GRE
> over IPv6 ULA between APs.

I was thinking something like that would be neat. I seem to recall that
the homenet effort at IETF is in the process of specifying standard(s)
for how multiple routes that get plugged into each other in random
fashions should auto-configure themselves. In the meantime, perhaps a
poor-mans version could be to have cero check, when the wan interface
comes up, whether the upstream router is also running cero, and if so
setup the appropriate GRE tunnels and, basically, turn off all other
functionality.

Some sort of negotiation would be needed, but a lua script running in
the (upstream) web configuration (or even an inetd-powered pipe to a
shell script) could work I guess. This could be authenticated by a
shared secret (which the cero firmware would ship with), to prevent the
most obvious abuse.

Any reason why the above wouldn't work?

-Toke