[Cerowrt-devel] CeroWrt 3.10 AQM page

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 19:37:59 EST 2013

Folks,

I have updated the CeroWrt 3.10 AQM page. Thanks for all the comments, I’ll incorporate more comments as people send them in. Some thoughts on the page so far:

- I agree that we should keep the descriptions generic (that is, not tailored specifically to CeroWrt) so we can push into OpenWrt without changes.

- It’s also a good idea to look for good marketing name (SQM, IQM, etc) so that we can tout the goodness of the fq_codel, &c. I’ll submit another proposal on the “Anything but ‘AQM’” thread.

- I removed references to calling the ISP - sometimes it could work, but I see now how it could also be problematic.

- I prefer telling people to decide on their link layer adaptation using the term “ADSL” instead of “ATM” (even though it’s technically more true) since nobody knows what ATM is, and they (most likely) do know whether they have DSL, Cable, Fiber, or something else…

- I wasn’t clear where a decision about overhead of 40 or 44 comes from, or where it should be described.

- Are there any better (but still easy to use) speed test tool besides speedtest.net?

- It’s a good idea to make it easy for people to get back to defaults. Could there be a “Restore Defaults” button on the Basic Settings tab?

Draft #2 of the Setting up AQM page is available at: http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Setting_up_AQM_for_CeroWrt_310

Thanks in advance for all your comments.

Rich

PS And if you’re running short of things to work on, the new “Quick Test for Bufferbloat” page *really* needs help.