[Cerowrt-devel] Fwd: Re: CeroWrt 3.10.24-8 badly bloated?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 14:49:46 EST 2013

Pie has a default latency target of 20ms, fq codel 5ms. (But the fq code
target matters less as the target only applies to queue building flows)

A packet takes 13ms to transit the device at 1mbit.

There is a change to fq codel in this release that should make fiddling
with target a low speeds less needed. (But might have other problems) Still
a comparison at roughly the same target vs a vs pie in your environment
would be very interesting.

I suggested 25ms as a test (as pie never makes 20ms anyway)

I came close to inserting a simple formula to start increasing the target
below 4mbit in this release.

On Dec 27, 2013 11:25 AM, "Sebastian Moeller" <moeller0 at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Fred,
>
> you could try to put "target 25ms" without the quotes into the advanced
egress options field in the "Queue Discipline" tab, that is exposed after
checking "Show Dangerous Configuration". I would love to hear whether that
worked or not (I am not able to test anything myself). Maybe posting the
output of "tc -d qdisc" and "tc class show dev ge00" would help. Good luck…

> Best Regards
>         Sebastian
>

> On Dec 27, 2013, at 20:20 , Fred Stratton <fredstratton at imap.cc> wrote:
>
> > I have been using pie for approximately 3 weeks.
> >
> > You are correct, in that the outbound speed is about 800 - 900 kb/s.
> >
> > I shall try what you suggest, but do not know how to express the target
of 25 ms as a configuration option.

> > On 27/12/13 19:15, Dave Taht wrote:
> >> Dear fred: are you sticking with pie? I was going to suggest you try
fq codel with a target 25ms on your outbound. (You are at 800kbit or so as
best I recall?)

> >> On Dec 27, 2013 11:10 AM, "Fred Stratton" <fredstratton at imap.cc> wrote:
> >> I upgraded to 3.10.24-8 on 2013-12-23.
> >>
> >> I modified /etc/fixdaemons, adding
> >> /etc/init.d/sqm restart
> >>
> >> input the appropriate sqm settings, transcribed from aqm
> >>
> >> rebooted
> >>
> >> and the build works very well. For ADSL2+ here, it is the best so far.

primary router with 3.10.24-8. That version had worked well as a secondary,
so I figured, What the heck… Let’s give it try.

chose the defaults for the Queue Discipline tab, and link layer to ATM with
no additional overhead for my DSL link.

speedtest.net, they jumped to 1500-2500 msec. Is there something I should
look at before reverting? Thanks.