[Cerowrt-devel] CeroWrt 3.10.24-8 badly bloated?/Not anymore...

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Fri Dec 27 19:10:48 EST 2013

Hi Rich,

On Dec 27, 2013, at 21:59 , Rich Brown <richb.hanover at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Probably didn't start sqm properly
>>
>> Restart it by hand via /etc/init.d/sqm restart
>>
>> tc -s qdisc show dev ge00
>>
>> Should show htb and fq codel.
>>
> Uh oh. PEBCAK (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard :-)
>
> I see the problem… There’s this little checkbox in the “Basic Settings” of the GUI… It’s labeled “Enable” and hidden in plain sight above all the interesting stuff in that tab. If it isn’t checked, the router is just as bloated as every other home router.
>
> However, if you *do* check it, everything works as desired. Whew!
>
> A few thoughts which might keep this from ever happening again:
>
> - Was it disabled by default? (I don’t remember unchecking it…)
> - Is there even a reason to have the “Enable” checkbox? Would there ever be a circumstance where a person wouldn’t want SQM?

	Well, if you do not need SQM it should be possible to disable it, or? And since you need to put in some vaules to make it work we can not really start it with defaults that work for everyone (yet…)

> - Could the “Enable” checkbox be replaced by another “Not Enabled” entry in the “Interface name” drop down?

	It should be easy to switch this around (even though mu track record in making such changes is a bit spotty :)), but we need the user to at least specify up- and download rates for SQM to work as expected…

Best
	Sebastian