[Cerowrt-devel] MacBook Pro (Snow Leopard) constantly renaming

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 16:22:28 EST 2013

I've only been running Sugarland for about a week now, but
something is causing my laptop to rename itself almost every
time I open the lid.  Is this a known issue?

I've not been keeping up with Ubuntu releases (we stopped at
10.04 LTS because of the desktop changes), so it could be an
issue with newer avahi releases?  Or is this newer dhcpd?

Anyway, it never used to happen, and I'm already up to
"Wastrel (1895)" and "wastrel-1877.local" -- they don't seem to
increment uniformly or together, it just went from 1805 to 1895.

I locked down the dhcpd config by MAC to wastrel.home.lan, it
was so annoying that it was changing all the time.

Anyway, it's probably a simple bug where they don't properly
check the MAC address as they decide whether a machine of the
same name is already present on the lan.  If anybody has an
idea where to look, I'll try fixing it.