[Cerowrt-devel] breaking off a port off the vlan correctly?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 15:31:34 EST 2013

One of the things I've long ignored, despite the popularity of it, is
vlan stuff.

I care, like everything else, it's just not currently a high priority
for me to deal with high rate vlan traffic.

But: I just had a need to connect two entirely separate networks
together. Being me I just slammed a routed dreamplug between the two
lans (which just worked five minutes after I compiled babeld and
turned off getting default gateways from dhcp), but it seems saner to
just remap one of the ports on a wndr3800 to be its own ethernet
device (and keep hacking BQL onto the dreamplug, which is what I have
it for)

current config:

default gw box <-> cerowrt <-> dreamplug <-> other network

desired config:

default gw box <-> cerowrt <-> dedicated port <-> other network

However, in trying to do that, several ways, I made bricks.

Wrong way #1: turn on vlan support, create an untagged vlan #2 on port
#3 from the switch, disable port #3 from vlan 1, create an interface
for it (I did all this via the gui), rebooted...

The box stopped serving dhcp entirely. IPv4 stopped too. I did see
ipv6 traffic...

Left off vlan support, never saw any traffic on the broken out port,
dhcp stopped working on ethernet entirely but stayed up on wifi... I
tried various combinations of using se00.1 and se00.2 to similar
non-effect...

Sigh. In reading up on this on openwrt's web site I'm even more
confused than i was before.

I seem to recall that other parties have tried this and went through
hell, too...

Anybody got this to work?

Secondly: My assumption is that you run fq_codel on the underlying
interface, not the vlan, am I correct in this?