[Cerowrt-devel] DLNA with wired and wireless devices

dpreed at reed.com dpreed at reed.com
Fri Jan 18 13:45:53 EST 2013

A non-obvious gateway application that some people like is a "DMZ".  In other words, a portion of the home network (one computer), that handles traffic from the outside that one never wants to reach internal resources that are not in the DMZ.

Home routers often talk about how to setup a DMZ, so there ought to be a way to do so in a routed network.

Please don't react to this by assuming that I personally like the DMZ concept.  I would rather do something more subtle - provide a "honeypot" feature that attracts would-be scanners/attackers to a place where they can do no harm, and where information about them can be collected.  (the latter could be a great benefit to consumers who opt-in to it, whereas the DMZ "feature" is often misused by people to get around the problem of NAT getting in the way - sort of an anti-DMZ)