[Cerowrt-devel] fq_codel through Tor

Maciej Soltysiak maciej at soltysiak.com
Sat Jan 19 05:03:01 EST 2013

Funny you should ask. Being inspired by Tor's Jacob Applebaum's keynote at
#29C3 ( http://isoc-ny.org/p2/4650 ) I started a tor node. Without
throttling the effect on my box was similar to bittorrent : instantly
dozens of connections consuming in total 4-5 MB/s inwards and outwards.
Observed in iptraf. ssh felt a bit laggy.

I think much depends on your exit a policy. If you allow all no port
restrictions (default) you might be serving a lot, perhaps even bit torrent;

I saw a headline somewhere about ways to circumvent tor policy to run
torrents.

SO unbloated devices may be keen on unbloating to still live with being
generous to tor which is very important for the project as the main issue
with it is it's slowness.

Maciej