[Cerowrt-devel] dnsmasq ipv6 stuff

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 01:40:43 EST 2013

I put up the ongoing issues with getting a dhcp-pd prefix assigned to sub
interfaces here:

https://www.bufferbloat.net/issues/422

After prefixes are assigned (somehow)

and after running through the examples in the dnsmasq-test11 tarball,
it sounds like what we want by default is stateless dhcp,
automatic slaac,
automatic naming from dhcp, dhcpv6 and slaac addresses,
and the ability to pick up dynamically assigned prefixes on the interfaces.

I think that's this in /etc/dnsmasq.conf

dhcp-range=se00,1234::, ra-stateless, ra-names
dhcp-range=sw00,1234::, ra-stateless, ra-names
dhcp-range=sw10,1234::, ra-stateless, ra-names
dhcp-range=gw00,1234::, ra-stateless, ra-names
dhcp-range=gw10,1234::, ra-stateless, ra-names

It's kind of unclear to me what 1234 could be replaced with.
"ce30" works for me...

Quick side note -  this is another feature in this release:
"          Add the ability to act as an authoritative DNS
            server. Dnsmasq can now answer queries from the wider 'net
            with local data, as long as the correct NS records are set
            up. Only local data is provided, to avoid creating an open
            DNS relay. Zone transfer is supported, to allow secondary
            servers to be configured."

Not sure how this works. Wider net shouldn't get private As, but AAAAs
would be awesome.

>From the other examples in the test tarball

# Do DHCP and Router Advertisements for this subnet. Set the A bit in the
RA
# so that clients can use SLAAC addresses as well as DHCP ones.
#dhcp-range=1234::2, 1234::500, slaac

dhcp-range=1234::, ra-stateless, ra-names
# Enable DHCPv6. Note that the prefix-length does not need to be specified
# and defaults to 64 if missing/
#dhcp-range=1234::2, 1234::500, 64, 12h

# Do Router Advertisements, BUT NOT DHCP for this subnet.
#dhcp-range=1234::, ra-only

# Do Router Advertisements, BUT NOT DHCP for this subnet, also try and
# add names to the DNS for the IPv6 address of SLAAC-configured dual-stack
# hosts. Use the DHCPv4 lease to derive the name, network segment and
# MAC address and assume that the host will also have an
# IPv6 address calculated using the SLAAC alogrithm.
#dhcp-range=1234::, ra-names

# Do Router Advertisements, BUT NOT DHCP for this subnet.
# Set the lifetime to 46 hours. (Note: minimum lifetime is 2 hours.)
#dhcp-range=1234::, ra-only, 48h

# Do DHCP and Router Advertisements for this subnet. Set the A bit in the
RA
# so that clients can use SLAAC addresses as well as DHCP ones.
#dhcp-range=1234::2, 1234::500, slaac

# Do DHCP and Router Advertisements for this subnet. Set the A bit in the
RA
# so that clients can use SLAAC addresses as well as DHCP ones.
#dhcp-range=1234::2, 1234::500, slaac

# Do Router Advertisements and stateless DHCP for this subnet. Clients will
# not get addresses from DHCP, but they will get other configuration
information.
# They will use SLAAC for addresses.
#dhcp-range=1234::, ra-stateless

# Do stateless DHCP, SLAAC, and generate DNS names for SLAAC addresses
# from DHCPv4 leases.
#dhcp-range=1234::, ra-stateless, ra-names

# Do router advertisements for all subnets where we're doing DHCPv6
# Unless overriden by ra-stateless, ra-names, et al, the router
# advertisements will have the M and O bits set, so that the clients
# get addresses and configuration from DHCPv6, and the A bit reset, so the
# clients don't use SLAAC addresses.
#enable-ra

Fixing bufferbloat with cerowrt:
http://www.teklibre.com/cerowrt/subscribe.html