[Cerowrt-devel] dnsmasq ipv6 stuff

Chris Lawrence lordsutch at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 13:52:15 EST 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 1:40 AM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that's this in /etc/dnsmasq.conf
>
> dhcp-range=se00,1234::, ra-stateless, ra-names
> dhcp-range=sw00,1234::, ra-stateless, ra-names
> dhcp-range=sw10,1234::, ra-stateless, ra-names
> dhcp-range=gw00,1234::, ra-stateless, ra-names
> dhcp-range=gw10,1234::, ra-stateless, ra-names
>
> It's kind of unclear to me what 1234 could be replaced with.
> "ce30" works for me...

Using ::1 on each will autoassign the addresses based on the address
of the interface, which seems like a sensible default no matter what
network address you have.  Having said that I found that with
ra-stateless enabled, at least one device on my network would send
DHCPv6 requests that crashed dnsmasq.  So I have:

dhcp-range=::1,constructor:se00,ra-names
(etc.)

I think with test11 that can be further simplified to:

dhcp-range=::1,constructor:*,ra-names

This uses SLAAC only, which seems sufficient for my network purposes.
I tried adding an end to the range to see if that was the problem with
DHCP, but that doesn't seem to help, at least in test10.

The other thing I noticed in 3.7.2-4 is that both dnsmasq and
dnsmasq-dhcpv6 are installed, but the dnsmasq binary is actually the
non-v6 version unless you reinstall the dnsmasq-dhcpv6 package
(according to upstream OpenWRT, only one or the other should be
installed since they conflict).

Chris