[Cerowrt-devel] Got DHCPv6 working in CeroWrt 3.7.x over HE.net tunnel

Török Edwin edwin+ml-cerowrt at etorok.net
Sun Jan 27 03:46:29 EST 2013

On 01/27/2013 06:17 AM, Richard E. Brown wrote:
> Thanks to Dave Täht and Robert Bradley for the pointers to making CeroWrt 3.7.x hand out IPv6 addresses to LAN devices. (This has been tested with 3.7.4-2.)  The process is indeed a few simple steps:
>
> 1) remove dnsmasq & dnsmasq-dhcpv6, then install again (see Dave Täht's note below)
> 2) Add config to /etc/dnsmasq.conf to hand out DHCPv6 addresses (as suggested by Robert Bradley)

Yep, that sounds like what I've done too.

> 3) Tweak the firewall to put henet 6in4 tunnel into WAN zone
> 3) Bring up henet and restart network, firewall, dnsmasq

Not related to ipv6, but if you want a ntp server for your LAN you have to do this:
# opkg remove luci-app-ntpc
# opkg remove ntpclient
# killall ntpclient
# uci set system.ntp.enable_server 1
# uci commit system
# /etc/init.d/sysntpd restart

Otherwise sysntpd will fail to start because ntpclient has already bound the ntp port.
According to http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/system busybox ntpd can act both as a client&server so
I think that ntpclient is unnecessary.

> There's a fully-functional script at: http://www.bufferbloat.net/attachments/download/165/tunnelbroker.sh that does this. (You'll have to substitute your own credentials there…) Save the script as a
> file in /tmp and execute it - it does all the configuration for you.

Just one note regarding this comment in your script:
# Append proper configuration commands to /etc/dnsmasq.conf
# This is the proper configuration file: you can ignore both
# /etc/config/dhcp and /var/etc/dnsmasq.conf as they seem not to have any effect

/var/etc/dnsmasq.conf is overwritten when you '/etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart', thats why it seems to not have an effect.
BTW initially I was doing this:

# /etc/init.d/dnsmasq stop
# vi /var/etc/dnsmasq.conf
# /usr/sbin/dnsmasq -C /var/etc/dnsmasq.conf -d
^C
# vi /var/etc/dnsmasq.conf
# /usr/sbin/dnsmasq -C /var/etc/dnsmasq.conf -d

But after reinstalling dnsmasq-dhcpv6 I realized that just modifying /etc/dnsmasq.conf and restarting dnsmasq worked too
(presumably due to this entry in /var/etc/dnsmasq.conf: conf-file=/etc/dnsmasq.conf).

Best regards,
--Edwin