[Cerowrt-devel] [Bloat] [Codel] Latest codel, fq_codel, and pie sim study from cablelabs now available

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Tue Jun 11 14:19:15 EDT 2013

    >> It's pretty easy to configure the Transmission Bittorrent client to mark
    >> packets.
    >>

    Tristan> Unfortunately this only helps with outgoing traffic. Marking on inbound
    Tristan> traffic is at the mercy of the torrent peer and your ISP (in my case, my
    Tristan> ISP seems to overwrite the TOS/DS field indiscriminately,
    Tristan> not that you

Ultimately, one wants PCP and/or RSVP and/or NSIS from the torrent
client to the local router, as the torrent client knows the 5-tuple of
the incoming packets.  Local router would in utopian world, in a diffedge
scenario be able to communicate that policy to ISP edge router, but at
least, the local router can police that flow.