[Cerowrt-devel] DLNA between wired and wireless again

jason arends jason.arends at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 16:07:34 EDT 2013

After realizing you can't put numeric ip's in replies... here's my
reformatted reply.  I removed the middle octets in some places, but I hope
it's still obvious.  Let me know if there's a better place to discuss this.

I've done a few things based on some googling... I'm no expert, just using
this as my home router.  Here's what i can remember changing so far:

To make sure the packets with TTL of 1 don't die going through the router:

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i se00 -d 224 dot 0 dot 0 dot 0/4 -j
TTL --ttl-inc 1
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i sw00 -d (224..0/4) -j TTL --ttl-inc 1
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i sw10 -d (224..0/4) -j TTL --ttl-inc 1

some websites said you need a route for multicast so I did:

ip route add to 224 dot 0 dot 0 dot 0/4 dev se00

I've tried adding the same for sw10 and sw00 but didnt' seem to help, but
I'm not sure about putting just the se00 in there.  The thing about this is
when i do:

ip mroute show

it's blank, but I'm not sure if that should show something.  I also get
this, which I'm not sure is good or bad, but someone may be able to
interpret:

#ip route get 224 dot 0 dot 0 dot 1 from 172 dot 30 dot 42 dot 70 iif sw00
multicast 224..1 from 172..70 dev lo
    cache <local,mc>  iif *

>From http://www.policyrouting.org/iproute2.doc.html it has an example where
the output looks like this though with the Oifs showing the other device
and pimreg, so I'm not sure pim is working right:
cache <mc> iif eth0 Oifs eth1 pimreg

I've setup my pimd.conf like this (comments removed and middle octets
removed, hopefully obviously):

default_source_preference       101
default_source_metric           1024

phyint ge00 disable
phyint gw00 disable
phyint gw10 disable

cand_rp 172..1 time 60 priority 20
cand_bootstrap_router 172..1 priority 5
rp_address 172..1 224..0 masklen 4 priority 5
group_prefix 224..0 masklen 4
switch_data_threshold           rate 50000 interval 20  # 50kbps (approx.)
switch_register_threshold       rate 50000 interval 20  # 50kbps (approx.)

I did also install miniDLNA and setup the router to stream media from
a usb drive, both wired and wireless can see and stream from that just
fine, but not sure if that has any impact on the issue.

Right now if I open a dlna application on wireless, it can see my
wired computer.  They appear to exchange SSDP search and notify
packets, but when they try to view contents of the media on the wired
computer or the wired computer tries to discover other devices on
wireless, it fails.  If I turn on the wifi card in the wired computer
as well, all the devices instantly show up and everything works, so
that makes me think the computer itself is fine... unless there's
something that tells it to ignore or refuse devices on other subnets.

~jason