[Cerowrt-devel] [homenet] pushing the bird faster

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed May 8 05:07:46 EDT 2013

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 4:15 AM, Markus Stenberg <markus.stenberg at iki.fi>wrote:

> Dave Taht <dave.taht <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > I note that in order to speed up the cycle and development time
> > involving routing advancements, the openwrt team has broken out most
> > of the routing protocols in openwrt into a separate repository which
> > can spin faster:
> >
> > https://github.com/openwrt-routing/packages
> >
> > Perhaps this could be a home for the enhancements to bird/etc that the
> > cisco homenet group has been doing?
>
> Possibly. I'm not sure how keen they are to have 'big' changes,
> though, and looking at
> https://github.com/fingon/hnet-openwrt-feed Cisco homenet
> implementation requires currently 4 new Lua modules (1 of them
> forked version of original with better IPv6 support), forked
> versions of dnsmasq/odhcp6c (for prefix class option support),
> and BIRD (for external LSA support).

Unless you wish to maintain these modifications forever, it is helpful to
seek consensus with the mainline developers of these tools to push your
patches in a mutually acceptible form. I would suspect that dnsmasq and
odhcp6c devs would be amiable to a discussion at the very least.

> As it's not very self-contained, I'm not sure how well it would
> work there, and as we currently _only_ work with AA base, it
> might have issues with people using trunk..

Perfect! You can continue have your stable release and also establish a
repo(s) for moving them into the ongoing development processes for head of
trunk, so that these standards can be more widely adopted. Or not,
depending on consensus with the devs....

 Please post your patches to the relevant mailing lists. This is the open
source process. It's pretty similar to the ietf process of seeking
consensus except that it's incremental and the code needs to compile at
every stage.

You end up with a lot of eyeballs on the code and more feedback from an
increasingly large userbase.

I'm very happy (and relieved) to say that as of 3 weeks back everything
important from CeroWrt has finally been pushed into openwrt, and if I were
to wipe out on the autobahn tomorrow, it really wouldn't matter all that
much. (to the project!)

We'll (cerowrt folk) will take a look at this repo too to see what can get
folded back into Cero, for now, but a better path is to the core devs of
the individual packages. "Feed the upstream".

Does anyone know where the hipnet stuff lives?

> Cheers,
>
> -Markus

Fixing bufferbloat with cerowrt:
http://www.teklibre.com/cerowrt/subscribe.html