[Cerowrt-devel] anybody here hacking on android?

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Fri May 10 08:19:51 EDT 2013

On 05/10/2013 04:23 AM, Dave Taht wrote:

> I am planning to add a few android devices to the fq_codel'd campground
> wifi testbed this summer. It looks like the nexus 7 is well supported by
> cyanogenmod, my only kvetch with that device is that there is no 5ghz
> support on it, and it looks like there are blobs to be had in various
> bits of that platform.

 > Is there a better device more worth hacking on? Is there anybody else
 > here hacking on a specific device?

For the Ethiopian reading project we used Motorola Xooms.

http://blog.laptop.org/tag/ethiopia/#.UYzcvP1Dsp8

I'd give you one but all I have left is 2 broken ones.  They support
5Ghz and we ran a TeamEOS build on them.

http://www.xoomforums.com/forum/team-eos/

Actually our build was and earlier build before the name changed to
team-eos.  I also ran CyanogenMod 10.0 on the last working one I had.
It works well.

I've built apps but not yet built a full OS build.  Building a full tree
requires a pretty beefy machine these days and CyanogenMod >= 10
requires you use a 64-bit os now.

> My core criteria is being able to have deep insight into the gsm/lte
> and/or wifi drivers.

The Xoom has a BCM4329 802.11n WiFi which may not be the best choice for
you.

OLPC is currently investigating running android on the XO-4.  I'll let
you know if we actually do a port.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child