[Cerowrt-devel] tp-link 4300 evaluation

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon May 27 09:32:22 EDT 2013

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 2:32 AM, David Lang <david at lang.hm> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 May 2013, Lance Hepler wrote:
>
>  That's tragic. I just picked up a Netgear WNDR4300 (openbox on sale at the
>> local Fry's) to see if I could hack up a CeroWrt clone on it. It seems to
>> be mostly the same hardware as the WNDR3700v4 and the TP-Link WDR43[01]0,
>> with things just wired up slightly differently.
>>

> As I understnad it, the difference between the WNDR3700v4 and WNDR4300 is
> that the 4300 has a slightly better wireless chip.
>
> Unfortunantly from what I've seen so far, they did something wierd with
> the storage and as a result the stock openwrt can't access it. I've seen
> reports of people getting it to run from an initramfs, but this means that
> no settings can be preserved across reboot.
>
> If you've seen anything different, I'd be very interested to hear about it
> (I picked up a 3700v4 and a couple 4300's for testing)

according to a birdie, "it looks like it's an ONFI with quirks, or nobody
has realised that it's ONFI at all.". Perhaps that's enough clue to get
someone started? but I fear jtag debugging will be needed. Flash chips tend
to have interesting race conditions....

> David Lang
>

>  I'd be interested in your netperf testing setup. With the AR71xx chips
>> going out of style, the AR934x series is probably our best bet for readily
>> consumer-available hardware with open-source friendly SoCs. (Maybe a
>> Xilinx
>> Zynq-based router funded through Kickstarter? =)
>>
>> This is all pretty new stuff, perhaps some more performance can be gleaned
>> by tuning the compiler optimizations (-march=74Kc?), and perhaps the
>> AR8327N switch chip could use someone poking about its driver (the
>> rtl8366s
>> in the WNDR3800 _has_ been around a while). Although, in all honesty, the
>> omission of that second ethernet port could just be a coffin nail.
>>
>> Helpfully, the WNDR4300 has 128MB of NAND flash, as does the WNDR3700v4.
>> So
>> compiling a full CeroWRT distribution shouldn't be a problem. The fixeth
>> script will need to be changed, but not much else.
>>
>> Lance
>>
>> PS: I apologize if this post doesn't show up where it should. I joined the
>> list to respond to this email, as such I naturally didn't receive the
>> original..

Fixing bufferbloat with cerowrt:
http://www.teklibre.com/cerowrt/subscribe.html