[Cerowrt-devel] Field Report for CeroWrt 3.10.17-6

Richard E. Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 14:34:02 EST 2013

I wanted to write up my experience and observations from testing CeroWrt 3.10.17-6 from 1 Nov 2013.

1) Wrong version displayed: The build shown in the SSH interface is r38610. However, the version number in both SSH and in the web GUI is shown as 3.10.17-5. The md5 hash is identical to the hash of the 3.10.17-6 page, so it appears to be a failure to increment the -5 to -6 in the build process.

2) Works fine as a secondary router. I have the new firmware operating as a secondary router behind my primary router running CeroWrt 3.7.5-2. The secondary router gets a DHCP address on its ge00 interface as desired.

3) IP renumbering and SSID changes works fine. To avoid address and SSID conflicts, I used the “secondary config” script at http://www.bufferbloat.net/attachments/download/173/cerowrt-config-secondary.sh to set IP addresses to 172.30.43.x (not the standard 172.30.42.x) subnets, and the SSIDs to “CEROwrt+…" The configuration script seems to work fine.

4) mDNS works fine. The configuration script also has the ability to allow mDNS lookups on the ge00 interface. If I turn this on, the secondary router passes Bonjour queries so I can easily print on my local printer connected through the primary router.

5) Can’t distribute IPv6 addresses when acting as secondary router. The primary router establishes a HE 6in4 tunnel that allocates off global v6 addresses to each of its interfaces. The 3.10.17-6 secondary router gets a global IPv6 /64 address on its ge00 interface. However, the secondary router does not distribute v6 addresses to any of its interfaces.

Is there a way to have a secondary CeroWrt router give out IPv6 addresses on its interfaces in this configuration?

6) Mosh not working; SSH is fine. It appears that mosh does not work in this build. I get the following when I try to connect in from my laptop:

% mosh root at 172.30.43.1       <— typed on my laptop
root at 172.30.43.1's password:
ash: mosh-serverConnection to 172.30.43.1 closed.
/usr/bin/mosh: Did not find mosh server startup message.

However, both /usr/bin/mosh and /usr/bin/mosh-server are available on the CeroWrt.

Let me know if I can provide more info. Thanks.

Rich Brown
Hanover, NH USA