[Cerowrt-devel] ietf report (Brief)

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 15:21:01 EST 2013

I think I should take the time to write down and sort out all that
happened at ietf. But that will take time I don't have (I dictated)
right now.

The big thing worth watching is bruce schneier's plenary talk...

http://recordings.conf.meetecho.com/Recordings/watch.jsp?recording=IETF88_TECH_PLENARY&chapter=part_7

I am increasingly annoyed about the actions of various intelligence agencies.

Some highlights from the aqm wg.

1) The pie folk announced the selection of a variant of pie as the
default and mandatory *on* aqm algorithm for docsis 3.1 cable modems.
There is support for alternate algos, and nothing has been decided for
CMTSes or docsis 3.0. It's going to take years for hardware to appear
on this...

I am very happy for something to be defaulting on.

2) Jim and I gave a preso based on cero + netem in the yurtlab
documenting some of the work we've been doing to evaluate fq_codel vs
pie vs drop tail

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/88/slides/slides-88-aqm-3.pdf

(I really, really, really appreciate you all helping to make cero
stable enough to generate data we can trust on this and the atm fixes
in particular)

At RMCAT I got volunteered to look hard at the various proposals for
webrtc congestion control. If you haven't fiddled with it yet, load up
a current chrome or firefox web browser and tr
At ICCRG the presentation that grabbed my eye was google's on paced
tcp and the tcp reordering fixes. In particular I hope the reordering
stuff at the tcp layer gets rid of the need for it to happen at the
wireless later. I look forward, very much, to ripping that code out.

At TSVWG the Quic presentation was awesome. I got a chance for a more
private and in-depth brief the night before from jim roberts. He has
much passion and much data.... I encourage y'all to turn it on in
chrome and try it....

You can browse through the proceedings here:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/88/materials.html