[Cerowrt-devel] [Dnsmasq-discuss] Names not resolved on Wireless

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sat Oct 12 12:32:34 EDT 2013

On 11/10/13 18:52, Richard E. Brown wrote:
> Simon,
>
>> I'll try and learn how to flash the router Dave gave me so I can test this stuff myself.
>
> For anyone interested in trying to do this at home, Dave wrote a *very* good procedure for flashing the ...xxx-squashfs-factory.img firmware via tftp at:
>
> http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/CeroWrt_flashing_instructions
>
> As noted on that page, the tftp process always works. You'll also need:
>
> - bent paper clip
> - Ethernet cable
> - tftp client on your computer
> - and of course, a WNDR3700v2 or WNDR3800 router
>
> It takes longer to read the steps than to flash the firmware. :-)
>
> Rich Brown
> Hanover, NH USA

Indeed. Being located in a nautical, rather than office, environment I
used a split-pin instead of a paperclip. I also had to find the firmware
for the ethernet port in the ship's computer, which is not supported
out-of-the-box by Ubuntu :-( That done, it went fine.

Poking around my newly flashed router, I find.

1) The dnsmasq config does indeed use --except-interface and no
--interface statements, so the SO_BINDTODEVICE bug a talked about before
may have caused the problem if exactly one interface is up when dnsmasq
starts. The code I committed yesterday which logs setting
SO_BINDTODEVICE is the final arbiter of this, but I think that bug
should be fixed anyway. It may have been the original source of the problem.

2) This is an out-of-the-box router, I've not changed the config at all.
I can see a single --dhcp-range,
172.30.42.2,172.30.42.27,255.255.255.224,24h which corresponds to the
wired interface. I can't see anything for the wireless interfaces. When
I go to the GUI for the wireless interface, I see it has address
172.30.42.65/26 and the DHCP service is enabled, but for start address 2
and 26 leases. Since 2 isn't in the 64-96 range, could that be the
problem, or am I missing something obvious?

Cheers,

Simon.