[Cerowrt-devel] Having issue upgrading to latest image 3.10.36-4

Frits Riep riep at riepnet.com
Mon Apr 14 07:48:42 EDT 2014

Thanks, Joel, Sebastian, and Valdis for your information and assistance.

I didn't know how to do the manual routes described, so I used a TFTP tool
to update the firmware to the latest by using the information on the OpenWRT
website on TFTP updating of the Netgear WNDR-3800.  Of course, I could not
use the sysupdate version of the firmware, and in the TFTP update to the
bootloader the IP address for the target is 192.168.1.1 which is the default
for the bootloader.

The description on how to do this is actually in the WNDR3700 router:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3700#upgrading.openwrt

"OEM installation using the TFTP method (recommended)

"Hold the 'System Restore' button on the underside of the router while
powering it on, and hold the button until the power led blinks green. Then,
upload the .img firmware as described in Installing OpenWrt via TFTP (see
the section titled Bootloader contains TFTP server). However, note that the
router will not accept the firmware when the filename is too long! Using
firmware.img as filename should work. After upload, the power led is turned
off and flashing starts, after that is finished the router will restart and
the power led will eventually become stable green (it will be stable orange
for quite some time first)."

Naturally, at this point I was at the factory defaults and needed to restore
my settings.  Once I did that everything seems to be working well so far.
The wireless is working fine on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz.  I also set up the sqm
to "fq-codel" and the latencies are rock stable on pings while running a
Speedtest (both up and down).

Thanks to all for the good work on this release.  So the only issue I had
was that I could not get to this release using a firmware upgrade via the
web interface.

Frits