[Cerowrt-devel] wired article about bleed and bloat and underfunded critical infrastructure

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 19:41:27 EDT 2014

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 4:22 PM,  <dpreed at reed.com> wrote:
> All great points.
>

> Regarding the Orange Book for distributed/network systems - the saddest part
> of that effort was that it was declared "done" when the standards were
> published, even though the challenges of decentralized networks of
> autonomously managed computers was already upon us.  The Orange Book was for
> individual computer systems that talked directly to end users and sat in
> physically secured locations, and did not apply to larger scale compositions
> of same.  It did not apply to PCs in users' hands, either (even if not
> connected to a network).  It did lay out its assumptions; but the temptation
> to believe its specifics applied when those assumptions weren't met clearly
> overrode engineering and managerial sense.

I worked on C2 level stuff in the early 90s, and on a db that tried to get B2
certification - it was difficult, slow, painful, hard, and ultimately
just a checkbox
that people took just to get past the bar of a RFP and turned off
almost universally
in practice.

> For example, it was used to
> argue that Windows NT was "certified secure" according to the Orange Book.
> :-)

I would like to see a resumption of an orange book scale effort for ipv6 in
particular, actually for all network infrastructure deemed critical.

Note akamai recognised that their newly published patch for openssl had a
flaw, and reacted openly, honestly, and rapidly to upgrade their infrastructure
and start rotating their certs.

https://blogs.akamai.com/2014/04/heartbleed-update-v3.html

I think they wrote the guy a check, too. Cheap at the price...

Openssl on the other hand has had a flood of tiny donations:

http://veridicalsystems.com/blog/of-money-responsibility-and-pride/