[Cerowrt-devel] WNDR3800CH varient doesn't load WNDR3800 firmware

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 15:47:17 EDT 2014

I just put test images up for the wndr3800CH up at:
http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~cero2/test-wndr3800ch for squashfs and
jffs2.

It is otherwise the same as the 3.10.50-1 release. If it works for you two
I'll fold the 2 line patch into the build or pester someone at openwrt to
get it in there.

On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Sam Chessman <sam.chessman at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Top reply?  Well, anyway I bought a refurbished WNDR3800 from amazon
> $40.00 to run cerowrt.  I was hoping to get a compatible model but it
> turns out I got a version with model change to WNDR3800-1CHNAS which
> cause the firmware upload to fail gracefully.    I found out about
> this at openwrt.org, see
> https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=49390
>
> The above referenced thread refers to an openwrt developer (zloop) who
> says he built a version with a different model string WNDR3800CH.
> See https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=51025
>
> "according to GPL fw sources the router is called "WNDR3800CH" (MODEL_NAME)
>
> so adding a line
>
> Makefile:$(eval $(call
>
> SingleProfile,Netgear,64kraw,WNDR3800CH,wndr3800ch,WNDR3700,ttyS0,115200,$$(wndr3700v2_mtdlayout),0x33373031,WNDR3800CH,"",-H
> 29763654+16+128))
>
> and modify the WNDR3800CH model to the Multiprofile line
>
> $(eval $(call MultiProfile,WNDR3700,WNDR3700V1 WNDR3700V2 WNDR3800
> WNDR3800CH WNDRMAC WNDRMACV2))
>
> should create an image that can be flashed from factory firmware
>
> PS: it's all untested - no guarantee it will work
>
> feel free to test and send to the mailing list
> "
>
> I'm going to try patching the image header to have the model name
> "WNDR3800CH" and see if it will load.
>
> It would be a good idea for the developers who understand the above to
> add this model to the makefiles so it also gets built.  I bet a lot of
> WNDR3800-1CHNAS series routers are out in the wild and if someone
> picks one up to run wrt or cerowrt they will be stymied.
>
> Sam
>

> > Hi Eric,
> >
> > I can answer the first question: yes, that's the one. I'm running on
> > exactly this since more than a year now.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Maciej
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 7:37 PM, Eric S. Johansson <esj at eggo.org>
> wrote:
> >> is this the right box for cerowrt?  I figure a refurb should work as
> well as
> >> new for this project.
> >>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122523&cm_re=WNDR3800-_-33-122-523-_-Product
> >>
> >> btw, as a funding mechanism, have you considered teaming up with
> Netgear to
> >> sell refurbished boxes loaded up with cerowrt?  set up inexpensive for
> fee
> >> support forum you have two revenue streams.

We had had several discussions with netgear's CTO about various options for
a relationship. Towards the end, it seemed like my communications were
being sent directly to /dev/null.

Doesn't mean that they can't resume talks, but I'd rather get a RFP
together for the next generation and see who might care enough about it to
want to participate.

>    Sam Chessman                                     sam.chessman (a)
> gmail.com
> "That's how we are, we are descendants of molecules formed a million
> years ago because they figured out how to replicate themselves. We
> have a name for things that don't copy themselves: dead." -- Cory
> Doctorow

NSFW:
https://w2.eff.org/Censorship/Internet_censorship_bills/russell_0296_indecent.article