[Cerowrt-devel] Upper routing throughput limit

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 19:10:50 EDT 2014

On Aug 6, 2014 4:06 PM, "David Lang" <david at lang.hm> wrote:

> When link speeds get high enough, do we still need to shape the download
for home users? at some point you stop saturating the line.

> the 3800 can easily handle 100mb if it's not trying to shape the traffic,
is it worth seeing if there's any way to squeeze that shaping overhead down?

In other words if you set the download to 0 in sqm, that disables ingress
shaping completely... and cero can handle the 35mbit upload without raising
too much sweat

I have a report of a 250 mbit download cable modem exhibiting 300ms of
latency. That would be both sad and good to confirm...

> David Lang
>
> On Wed, 6 Aug 2014, William Katsak wrote:
>
>> Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2014 15:35:57 -0400
>> From: William Katsak <wkatsak at gmail.com>
>> To: "cerowrt-devel at lists.bufferbloat.net"
>>     <cerowrt-devel at lists.bufferbloat.net>
>> Subject: Re: [Cerowrt-devel] Upper routing throughput limit
>>

>> Sorry to wake this thread up again. It does indeed seem that the 3800 is
having trouble routing at my line speed.

>> I was considering doing a pfSense box, but it doesn't seem that
Bufferbloat has been much of a consideration yet over there. There is a
version of Codel, but the QoS would have to be set up manually.

>> I've Googled this Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite, and I am intrigued. I don't
see many details on Ubiquiti's site about the QoS though. Is this device as
good at beating bloat as Cero? Would mating one of these with a 3800 (for
Wifi only) be a good bet?

>> Thanks,
>> -Bill
>>

>> On 07/10/2014 11:01 AM, Aaron Wood wrote:
>>>
>>> It depends on the aqm rules that are configured.  In the base setup, it
>>> struggles at 50Mbps.  But that can be increased by switching from the
>>> simple.qos script to simplest.qos (I'm not sure where the limit is with
>>> the simplest.qos script.
>>>
>>> I know that Dave Taht has been working with some other platforms.  The
>>> Ubiquity EdgeRouter Lite may be able to hit 100Mbps, but it doesn't run
>>> CeroWRT itself, it just supports similar configuration.
>>>
>>> -Aaron
>>>

>>> On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 7:49 AM, William Katsak <wkatsak at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:wkatsak at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Hello,
>>>
>>>     Does anyone have a good sense of the most throughput our 3800s with
>>>     Cero can push through the WAN interface? Are we good to 100 mbps?
1gbps?