[Cerowrt-devel] Add a vlan on ge00?

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 10:23:06 EST 2014

I'm using a Comtrend AR-5831u DSL modem for my internet access. I've set it up as a bridge, so I have CeroWrt 3.10.50-1 configured to supply the PPP user/password. Everything's working fine. Almost.

The problem I'm seeing is that my DSL line is dropping on a regular basis. (several times per day, for ~60 seconds or so). I'm quite sure that this is a problem with my provider (Fairpoint), because both the CeroWrt and the DSL modem uptimes are over three weeks (as of our last power failure) while the "DSL uptime" is 1h 37m

I note that the DSL modem has an admin page that shows a number of stats, including ES, SES, and UAS (which I believe are stats for "errored seconds", "severely errored seconds", and "unavailable seconds") The two columns are labeled "Downstream" and "Upstream". These get bigger after the outages.

I can see these stats if I plug my laptop's ethernet directly into the DSL modem and connect to its address (I've set it to 192.168.253.1) I would like to be able to peek at these stats whenever I see an outage, or perhaps create an InterMapper probe that retrieves the current values on a regular basis. But I only have a single Ethernet between the DSL modem and CeroWrt.

My questions:

It occurs to me that it might be possible to create a VLAN that directs traffic to 192.168.253.0/24 out the ge00 interface so that I could see the DSL modem without making a direct connection/getting out of my chair :-) My networking configuration skills are pretty weak, so I'm asking the list for help:

- Is it possible to use a VLAN like this?

- Is it advisable to use a VLAN like this (the DSL modem is outside the firewall...)?

- What configuration file(s) need to be changed? (I'm using a fairly simple configuration - see the config-cerowrt.sh script at https://github.com/richb-hanover/CeroWrtScripts#config-cerowrtsh for my base setup.)

Many thanks!

Rich