[Cerowrt-devel] an option for a new platform?

David P. Reed dpreed at reed.com
Sat Dec 13 18:02:25 EST 2014

Anyone measured what is the actual bottleneck in 300 mb/s shaping?  On an Intel platform you can measure a running piece of code pretty accurately. I ask because it is not obvious a cpu needs to touch much of a frame to do shaping, so it seems more likely that the driver and memory management structures are the bottleneck.

But it is really easy to write very slow code in a machine with limited cache. So maybe that is it.

On a multi core intel arch machine these days it is a surprising fact that a single core can't use up more than about 25 percent of  a socket's memory cycles so to get full i/o speed you need to be running your code on 4 cores or more... this kind of thing can really limit achievable speed of a poorly threaded design.  Architectural optimization needs more than llvm and clean code. You need to think about the whole software pipeline. Debian may not be great out of the box for this reason - it was never designed for routing throughput.

-- Sent from my Android device with K-@ Mail. Please excuse my brevity.