[Cerowrt-devel] IPv6 on AT&T

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 14:51:19 EST 2014

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Bill Merriam <lists at billmerriam.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 16:50:58 -0500
> Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have discovered that several forms of tunnelling no longer work
>> (sigh, 1 step forward, 2 back) on networks like AT&Ts. This shows some
>> documentation on how people used to get 6rd up on AT&T
>>
>> https://www.tunnelbroker.net/forums/index.php?topic=2293.0
>>
>> And this reports it recently broken.
>>
>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28530086-AT-T-now-blocking-IPv6-tunnels
>>
>> I have ordered a ipv6 capable dsl box for the one AT&T based network I
>> have access to.
>>
>> I still haven't got hurricane electric to work again on comcast,
>> either, since I got an ipv6 capable modem. This has caused all sorts
>> of renumbering headaches... and I don't know what to point fingers at.
>>
>> Anybody have working ipv6 on AT&T?
>>

> I have ATT DSL in Gainesville, Florida, USA and my ATT 6rd tunnel works
> and my HE tunnel works also.  I have a Westell 6200 modem.  I put it in
> bridge mode so PPPoe and the tunnels are all running from cerowrt.

The DSL modem I tested had no bridge mode. Thank you for a steer
to a modem that works.

What version of cero?

> I don't routinely activate either tunnel since it slows down my
> traffic.

? Current versions of cero's SQM "do the right thing" with encapsulated
ipv6 6in4 and 6rd traffic, as well as some forms of gre.

This was not the case prior to 3.8.

> I have a long ago grandfathered fixed IP4 address.  Because of the way
> 6rd works that gives me fixed IPv6 addresses.

Every home should have a fixed IP address. You should get a /48 with
your mortgage...

> BTW.  One benefit of the HE tunnel over ATT 6rd is that HE lets me
> control rDNS.  I doubt ATT will ever provide that for a residential
> account.

If enough people want it, someday they will have it. I'd dearly like
to see the DNS system tied back together again, and dns names turned
back from "Vanity web addresses" to actually being tied to real
systems, and secured throughout with DNSSEC.

In the meantime I forsee continued usage of tunnels for those that
want stable IPv6 addresses, and full name resolution to be a PITA
until
we come up with better means of updating dns.

BTW: I succeeded in getting a he tunnel working simultaneously with
the comcast addresses the other day, finally. It was very nice to see
source specific routing "just work". Will be in the next cero.