[Cerowrt-devel] VDSL

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Sat Jan 11 13:40:31 EST 2014

Hi Rich,

On Jan 11, 2014, at 18:55 , Rich Brown <richb.hanover at gmail.com> wrote:

> HI Sebastian,
>
>> 	Well, that looks like a decent recommendation for the wiki. The SQM configuration page still needs to expose all three values, atm, ethernet, and  none so that people can actually change things...
>
> So two questions really:
>
> 1) (From my previous note) What’s the difference between the current “Ethernet” (for VDSL) and “None” link layer adaptations?

	Currently, "none" completely disables the link layer adjustments, "ethernet" enables them, but will only use the overhead (unless you specify an tcMPU, but that is truly exotic).

> 2) When we distinguish the Ethernet/VDSL case, I would really like to use a different name from “Ethernet” because it seems confusingly similar to  having a real Ethernet path/link (e.g., direct connection to internet backbone without any ADSL, cable modem, etc.)

	On the one hand I agree, but the two options are called "ATM" (well for tc "adsl" is a valid alias for ATM) and "ethernet" if you pass them to tc (what we do), and I would really hate it to hide this under fancy names. I see no chance of renaming those options in tc, so we are sort of stuck with them and adding another layer of indirection seems too opaque to me. This is why I put some explanation behind the option names in the list box…

Best
	Sebastian