[Cerowrt-devel] Final wording for CeroWrt SQM Pages (GUI and wiki)?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 23:06:15 EST 2014

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 10:44 PM, Rich Brown <richb.hanover at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, I think we have consensus. I have modified the text of the Setting up SQM page as described in the earlier messages (https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/cerowrt-devel/2014-January/001997.html) The wiki now says:  http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Setting_up_SQM_for_CeroWrt_310
>
> Next, the CeroWrt 3.10.26-2 GUI needs these changes:
>
> - SQM tab heading needs to say "Smart Queue Management" instead of "Active Queue Management"

done in the comcast build and for future builds.

Incidentally, part of the appeal of "SQM" to me is the first hit is
for a fertilizer company.

http://steve.savitzky.net/Songs/mushroom/

The song itself is kind of catchy (I don't know if he's online, I have
the CD) and can cause earworms on bad days.

"It comes from mushrooms, mushrooms, keep them in the dark..."

I should also point out that multiple other schemes qualify as SQM in
my mind: gargoyle-router's ACC in particular, but also streamboost,
and qos-scripts, wondershaper, etc.

We could still use a brandname.

> - Change the text of the paragraph to say, "... and prioritization on a single interface."

Not sure where this goes. Current comcast code says:

m = Map("sqm", translate("Smart Queue Management"),
        translate("With <abbr title=\"Smart Queue
Management\">SQM</abbr> you " ..
                "can enable traffic shaping, better mixing (Fair Queueing)," ..
                " active queue length management (AQM) " ..
                " and prioritisation on one " ..
                "network interface."))

> - Basic Settings tab: we had discussed removing the "Enable" checkbox and adding a "None" choice to the "Interface name" dropdown. Is this possible? (default setting should obviously be "ge00") If not, the tab is fine as-is.

Well this opens the problem of people wanting SQM on multiple
interfaces, which was a nice feature.

> - Queue Discipline tab is fine as-is.
>
> - Link Layer Adaptation tab's dropdown lists three choices:
>         - None (default)
>         - ATM (almost every type of ADSL or DSL)

Is the () needed in the drop down

>         - Ethernet with overhead

in (PPoe? pppoa? what?)

> - Anything else?
>
> It would be great to get these changes in the next build. Who can make those changes? Thanks.

I note I'm burnt and just lost a week I could ill afford to this. I
have pushed out all sources in the hope
someone else can update the build howto and get something that works....

I am travelling this weekend and won't have time to get another build out.

Perhaps more cool stuff can land. I have a wishlist. :)

Perhaps someone can find a cure to the he problem but I fear it's
buried deep in a script or in ubus.