[Cerowrt-devel] Router ssh access unavailable on custom build

Ranga Krishnan ranga at eff.org
Sun Jul 6 13:32:54 EDT 2014

Dave,

Appreciate any suggestions debugging the problem below.

I finally flashed a build I made onto the router and it seems to boot fine and
is broadcasting the two SSIDs I programed into it but I cant ssh into the router,
neither through wireless nor an ethernet cable.

----------------xxxxxxxxx--------------------
$:OpenWireless ranga$ ssh root at 172.30.42.1
ssh: connect to host 172.30.42.1 port 22: Connection refused
----------------xxxxxxxxxx-------------------

All ports except 53 seem to be blocked. Even the webserver
we have running on 80/443 is not responding.

-----------------------xxxxxxxxxxxx-----------------------
$:OpenWireless ranga$ nmap 172.30.42.1

Starting Nmap 6.46 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2014-07-06 07:23 PDT
Nmap scan report for 172.30.42.1
Host is up (0.0010s latency).
Not shown: 999 closed ports
PORT   STATE SERVICE
53/tcp open  domain

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2.59 seconds
----------------------xxxxxxxxxxxxx-----------------------

I started with the etc directory in 3.10.40-6 and removed a few things
and made some changes in /etc/config. I kept the /etc/config/firewall
file unchanged. So I am not sure if it is the firewall blocking the ports.
Here is a link to the /etc I placed in cerowrt/files directory to have it
compiled into the build.

https://github.com/TWEFF/OpenWireless/tree/master/etc

Could it be that when building, the permissions with which
the files are being created in the firmware image are not what
they need to be, and this is causing the problems I am seeing ?
Is there any way to analyze the firmware image without flashing
it onto a router ?

Thanks,
Ranga