[Cerowrt-devel] BQL on the via rhine?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 12:25:02 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 6:26 AM, Luke Hamburg <luke at lighthousecorp.com> wrote:
> The APU boards are wonderful pieces of kit.  I've been running pfSense on them since they came out a few months ago and they've been extremely robust.  Yes they are a little costly when compared to the WNDR3800 but it's still a good value imo.

Pfsense so far as I know has codel but not fq_codel, and people are
typically using hfsc + something to do qos. What are you using?

> Netgate sells a DIY kit that includes an unbranded case, power supply, and heatsink for US$179. The case has cutouts for 2 antennas as well which you can connect to a miniPCI WLAN board via pigtail.  You can boot from the SD slot or mSATA and the 2GB of RAM is spacious.  They also have a 4GB variant for $20 more.
>
> http://store.netgate.com/kit-APU1C.aspx

Thank you. The problem(s) that I'm trying to solve are multifold.

0) Have an existing stable distro that solves most edge qos problems
1) Get more hw with good support out there
2) have a device that can run htb at > 200mbit and ethernet at gbit.
3) have something simpler to work on that can take a 802.11ac card so
we can finally get to work on fixing wifi.

I've kind of given up on doing all that in one box, and the current
generation of 802.11ac APs lack oomph, and historically it's a real
pain the tukkus to ask people to continually update their main gateway
in order to make progress on beating bufferbloat. So having a stable
main gateway and working on fixing wifi in a separate box seems good.

My own inclination was towards the intel ivy bridge products as the
onboard cache is dma accessible, and thus at least theoretically
faster in a packet forwarding engine. On the other hand, my attempts
to use dual ethernet boards from various vendors have been often
frustrating.

I don't know a lot about the current generation of amd gear. I would
still prefer moving to an arm product actually...

NSFW: https://w2.eff.org/Censorship/Internet_censorship_bills/russell_0296_indecent.article