[Cerowrt-devel] DSL devices?

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Mon Jul 28 15:29:58 EDT 2014

Hi Dave,

hope you had a great time...

	For the uplink, sure the router/modem should avoid the software cost of shaping (not that that should be costly @384k...)

> This was a classic bufferbloated plot on the existing 384k uplink there:
>
> http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/farmstock/farmstock_upload_showing_1700ms_latency.png
>
> Downloads were not so bad, "only" 1sec of buffering...
>
> http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/farmstock/farmstock-short-download.png
>
> there appears to be some level of ack prioritization or fair queuing
> in play here, an internet radio flow would survive the onslought of
> netperf-wrapper for 10s of minutes... and generally full download rate
> was achieved at a huge cost in the upload.

	But this means that the downlink needs the shaper badly (unless the ISP can be convinced to allow making setting to the prioritization settings in the DSLAM/BRAS)

> http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/farmstock/farmstock-bidirectional.png
>
> you can imagine under the influence of two dozen millenials with 1 or
> more phones/tablets each, the network performed rather badly during
> the show.
>
> Anyway, so I figure that there are a selection of DSL capable openwrt
> platforms now someone can fiddle with….

	I think it is only TI and lantiq (= ex-infineon = siemens) del modems have open source drivers, all devices with broadcom DSL modems in the hardware database will not allow use of the modem even if listed as supported.

Best Regards
	Sebastian