[Cerowrt-devel] DSL devices?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 14:59:50 EDT 2014

There are a LOT of dsl capable devices in openwrt barrier breaker. I
am curious if anyone has tried one of late? I just got back from
"farmstock", and as effective as software rate limiting can be, I
imagine that when someone is stuck at a line rate of 1Mbit down and
384k up that doing it in hardware is superior...

This was a classic bufferbloated plot on the existing 384k uplink there:

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/farmstock/farmstock_upload_showing_1700ms_latency.png

Downloads were not so bad, "only" 1sec of buffering...

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/farmstock/farmstock-short-download.png

there appears to be some level of ack prioritization or fair queuing
in play here, an internet radio flow would survive the onslought of
netperf-wrapper for 10s of minutes... and generally full download rate
was achieved at a huge cost in the upload.

http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/farmstock/farmstock-bidirectional.png

you can imagine under the influence of two dozen millenials with 1 or
more phones/tablets each, the network performed rather badly during
the show.

Anyway, so I figure that there are a selection of DSL capable openwrt
platforms now someone can fiddle with....

PS wow was there a lot of traffic on the list while I was away. I am way behind.

NSFW: https://w2.eff.org/Censorship/Internet_censorship_bills/russell_0296_indecent.article