[Cerowrt-devel] The definitive homenet talk

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 11:21:03 EDT 2014

Sometimes I lose sight of all the problems we're trying to solve here.
Bufferbloat, solved, for ethernet, at least. Security, improved. IPv6,
made to work pretty darn good. Routing, looking good, even with
multiple gateways.

The last pieces of all that is improving DNS and service discovery,
and making it all just work for grandma.

I've run low on motivation and cash of late. Mark Townsley here does
the vision thing on why it is important to make routing and service
discover "just work" in the home, with all the new devices in the IoT
in particular:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+MarcLuethi/posts/7GWKu1sFMw8

He gets rolling at about 4:20. Watching it this morning cheered me up a bit.

The talk predates the HNCP work. We agreed to standardize on hncp (if
it could be made to work) to propagate addresses and subnets in the
home at the last homenet wg meeting. And babel, is (at least for now)
the default protocol,
replacing ospf.

NSFW: https://w2.eff.org/Censorship/Internet_censorship_bills/russell_0296_indecent.article