[Cerowrt-devel] 3.10.36-4 field report: dnsmasq made to work

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Sun Jun 15 17:06:34 EDT 2014

I forklift upgraded from 3.10.24-8 (I think), to 3.10.36-4 today.
Forklift, because I factory flashed my spare unit with .36, uploaded the
backed up configuration, and then swapped.

1) I figured out my problems with SSH to the device.  Nothing malicious,
   it turns out that ssh to 42.1 is accepted only if you are on the 42.x
   network, which I *thought* my desktop was via a VLAN, but it turns out
   that it wasn't.  So the ssh was going in via a different port, and
   connecting, and then dropbear was (correctly!) disconnecting.  More
   logging needed there.

2) dnsmasq did not start properly.
   First the problem seemed to be that odhcpd was running, so port 547 was
   busy (DHCPv6 server port). Should it be running?  where would I have
   enabled that?
   I killed it off, and ran /etc/rc.d/S35odhcpd disable, and then
   I got a complaint that the /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases could not be
   created.  We need to have:
     mkdir -p /var/lib/misc
     touch /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases
   in the start up scripts, and somehow we also need to have some way to
   see how daemons are being started up.  The /etc/rc.common stuff creates
   a huge verbosity if you set -x things.

Given how import dnsmasq is, it really really needs to never refuse to run.

I'm gonna power cycle the unit and see if it comes back okay.