[Cerowrt-devel] viability of the data center in the internet of the future

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 00:58:39 EDT 2014

I didn't care for my name in the subject line in the first place,
although it did inspire me to do some creative venting elsewhere, and
now here. And this is still way off topic for the bloat list...

One of the points in the wired article that kicked this thread off was
this picture of what the internet is starting to look like:

http://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/net_neutral.jpg.jpeg

I don't want it to look like that. I worked pretty hard to defuse the
"fast vs slow" lane debate re peering because it was so inaccurate,
and it does look like it has died down somewhat, but
that doesn't mean I like the concentration of services that is going on.

I want the "backbone" to extend all the way to the edge.

I want the edge to be all connected together, so in the unlikely event
comcast goes out of business tomorrow, I can get re-routed 1 hop out
from my house through verizon, or joe's mom and pop fiber shop, or
wherever. I want a network that can survive multiple backhoe events,
katrinas, and nuclear wars, all at the same time. I'd like to be able
to get my own email,
and do my own phone and videoconferencing calls with nobody in the
middle, not even for call setup, and be able to host my own my own
services on my own hardware, with some level of hope that anything
secret or proprietary stays within my premise. I want a static ip
address range, and
control over my own dns.

I don't mind at all sharing some storage for the inevitable
advertising if the cdn's co-located inside my business are also
caching useful bits of javascript, etc, just so I can save on latency
on wiping the resulting cruft from my eyeballs. I want useful
applications, running, directly, on my own devices, with a minimum
amount of connectivity to the outside world required to run them. I
want the 83 items in my netflix queue already downloaded, overnight,
so I can pick and choose what to see without ever having a "Buffering"
event. I want my own copy of wikipedia, and a search engine that
doesn't share everything you are looking for with the universe.

I want the legal protections, well established for things inside your
home, that are clearly not established in data centers.

I'd like it if the software we had was robust, reliable, and secure
enough to do that. I'd like it if it were easy to make offsite
backups, as well as mirror services with friends and co-authors.

And I'd like my servers to run on a couple watts, at most, and not
require special heating, or cooling.

And I'd like (another) beer and some popcorn. Tonight's movie:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/VJKvfvKU9pi