[Cerowrt-devel] Low Power UPSes (Was: Re: [Bloat] Dave Täht quoted in the ACLU blog)

dpreed at reed.com dpreed at reed.com
Mon Jun 30 08:00:15 EDT 2014

Good suggestions.  Also, if you have 12V charging the relevant battery, you can power 5V stuff with a cheap, off-the-shelf UBEC.  In a system I built recently, I powered a Wandboard, an SSD (SSD's typically only use their 5V supply) and an 8 port GigE desktop switch with one that puts out 5 at 5V:

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-DYS30055.html.

There are lots of UBEC's out there in the robotics and radio control suppliers. Motors and batteries like to be higher than 5V, and the electronics and small servos like 5V.  You could design your own, but why bother...