[Cerowrt-devel] [Bloat] Dave Täht quoted in the ACLU blog

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Sat Jun 28 12:49:26 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 09:28:55PM -0700, Dave Taht wrote:

> So I go back to my original point in that, once you have fiber to
> the business, for most purposes in a small business or startup or
> home - who needs to co-lo in a data center?  You can have a tiny
> wart on the wall do most of the job. And that's today. In another
> year or so we'll be over some more tipping points.

For many people, the reason why they use a colo is not just because of
network access.  And it's not just about power.  Sure, if you're just
sending unencrypted data off of a flash drive it's not going to take
much power to saturate a GigE.  But if you're going to be running a
real server, with a backend database, and doing some real
transactional processing, you might not use a whole lot of network
bandwidth, but it still might be using enough power, space, and
generate enough noise, that you might want to use a colo.

Also, historically, most people didn't have stable IPv4 addresses
provided by their ISP.  So if you wanted to run a server, you had to
use a colo.  With IPv6, this will hopefully change, but an ISP might
still not be willing to give you a long-term stable IPv6 address
assignment.

					 - Ted