[Cerowrt-devel] CeroWRT and "FTTN" 50/10 VDSL2 (aka "FIBE")

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Mon Jun 30 11:35:07 EDT 2014

Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
    > On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
    >> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> On Monday I had VDSL2 installed at my home office.
    >>>
    >>> 50Mb/s down, 10Mb/s up from storm.ca. Native IPv6, but as far as I can tell,
    >>> they aren't speaking DHCPv6; anyway I kept my /56 from my previous
    >>
    >> Cool. I note that the wndr3800 runs out of horsepower at about 50mbit/10.

    > And when I say that, I mean it. HTB eats all the cpu, leaving nothing
    > for wifi , wifi crypto, the web interface, etc, at these rates. I have
    > long been looking for something more efficient than htb without much
    > luck.

Right now, with it still set at 50000, I see 49.86Mb/s from my ISPs' speedtest.storm.ca.
I'll take your advice and turn off download policing.

    > So assuming your downstream bloat isn't "bad", and you stick with cero
    > on this interface, I'd disable the downstream rate limiter entirely
    > (set it to 0), and just use sqm on the upstream. It is increasingly
    > hard to hit the higher bandwidth limits with normal traffic.

    > (but I'd love a rrul measurement all the same... )

I'll try to get it setup.... anecdotally, my ssh is really fast all the time.
I spend a lot of time ssh'ed into my SOHO desktop from my office, running
emacsclient in "-nw" mode.  In the pre-CODEL days, this resulted regularly in
me getting 20-40seconds ahead of the screen updates.  Post cerowrt/CODEL,
there were occasional periods of time when codel couldn't protected my typing
SSH from the ssh that was running sshfs/rsync.
(sshfs/rsync needs to invoke ssh with some option to make it apply DSCP to
the packets)

I'm think that with 10Mb/s up, I just won't care :-)