[Cerowrt-devel] cerowrt-3.10.32-9 released

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 13:03:09 EDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 12:49 PM, Török Edwin <edwin at etorok.net> wrote:
> On 03/18/2014 05:35 PM, Dave Taht wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Török Edwin <edwin at etorok.net> wrote:
>>> Should I also run a rrul46/rrul46compete test?
>>
>> If you can test ipv6 too, that would be great.
>
> Attached IPv6 results.

The behavior I find puzzling is how rapidly you lose your measurement
flows, basically immediately after you hit slow start on the test, packet
loss there occurs and they all die.

My guess is you actually have insufficient buffering on the gpon or onc sides,
which also explains your low latency.

>> At 8ms of induced extra latency without SQM there doesn't seem to be
>> much point in running it on your platform. It does look like you are tail
>> dropping...
>>
>> A thought would be to leave it
>> off and try running your link at 100Mbit rather than gige.
>>
>> # ethtool -s ge00 advertise 0x008
>
> Well ge00 already runs at 100Mbit, because ISP plugged me into a 100Mbit port on the switch:
>         Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
>                                 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
>                                 1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
>         Advertised pause frame use: No
>         Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
>         Speed: 100Mb/s

Ah.

> They would plug me into a 1Gbit port only if I pay for 1Gbps connectivity, which is in fact only 7 EUR/month more, but its not available in my area yet :)
>

>> and see if fq_codel alone can break up bursts better.
>>
>> I note that linux 3.14 TCP is now so highly debloated that it is really hard to
>> compare the results we get with it with any TCP before it - the TSO offload
>> fixes, tcp small queues, etc, have really shortened and made more accurate
>> the control loops.
>>
>> second note is that the wndr can only forward packets at about 330Mbit
>> without firewall rules. Add in the firewall rules and you are looking at
>> sub 120mbit forwarding performance.
>
> Good to know, not much point in purchasing 1Gbit connectivity from my ISP unless I also replace my router.

The only things I have found that can push that are x86 boxes mostly.

Toke is evaluating a few new ones.