[Cerowrt-devel] betterspeedtest.sh (was: speedtest.sh script available)

Rich Brown richb.hanover at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 11:30:20 EDT 2014

You can get it from my CeroWrtScripts git repo: https://github.com/richb-hanover/CeroWrtScripts It also includes the config-cerowrt.sh that I use to get consistent settings after flashing firmware, and my tunnelbroker.sh script that sets up a 6in4 tunnel.

For version 1.0, I'm going with "betterspeedtest.sh"? There are a bunch of "speedtest.sh" scripts out there. This one's better. (I never said I was good at names.  :-)

> ahh... my old friend... awk...

I don't know why it took me so long to learn about awk. What a hoot!

> If you change the script to use /bin/sh it works directly on cero!

Done.

> I have longed to have some sort of sane test server infrastructure in
> place, tied to a domain that did geographic dns, for a long time. Are
> you going to incur any costs in doing this? community driven and
> ad-supported seems like a way to go except that shell scripts don't
> have ads...

I'm happy to support this for the time being. This is currently running on a fairly studly VPS in Atlanta that costs $10/month. An individual netperf session doesn't bother it at all; we've had ~250 sessions since I mentioned this, and it hasn't even dented my bandwidth cap (<< 1%) I'm teaching myself node.js, so there'll shortly be a web page there that lets you see how many sessions and what CPU utilization it causes.

> I'd argue in favor of throwing out the first 25 sec of the test if you
> aren't already due to speedboost.

Interesting... Version 1.1

Rich