[Cerowrt-devel] Fwd: wndr3800 replacement

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Fri Mar 28 05:33:29 EDT 2014

Hi Mikael, hi List,

On Mar 28, 2014, at 09:36 , Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Mar 2014, David Lang wrote:
>
>> using a 3800 or similarly priced ($100-$150 USD) device that's readily available is very good for the second category, the question is if we can find one that's powerful enough for the first.
>
> I would say that it would be desireable to have a device that is available world-wide, that doesn't have a lot of different versions of the hardware that are different.
>
> I also think that it'll be very hard to find a box that is decently priced that also will do gig speeds *and* will do AQM, since most home gateways that are this quick has hardware acceleration that in turn requires vendor proprietary kernels to drive the hardware.
>
> So if you want to fulfil both, I think we need two platforms. A CPU based platform that is quick enough to do AQM in and CPU forwarding in gig speeds will most likely have to be Intel based and cost 300 USD or more.

	I am not sure whether a dual core 1.4GHz has well based cerleron (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8919600) will be sufficient (in combination with a USB3 ethernet dongle to make up the fact that there is only one port built-in), but $179 seems like an acceptable price point, given 2GB ram and 16GB SSD. The cpu is a bit weaker than the one in Dave's NUC, 1.4 vs 1.7GHz, but $180 beats $310+ easily ;).
	I wonder what it would take to install cerowrt on this and make it run well.

Best Regards
	sebastian