[Cerowrt-devel] Fwd: wndr3800 replacement

Aaron Wood woody77 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 09:30:03 EDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 9:36 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se>wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Mar 2014, David Lang wrote:
>
>  using a 3800 or similarly priced ($100-$150 USD) device that's readily
>> available is very good for the second category, the question is if we can
>> find one that's powerful enough for the first.
>>

> I would say that it would be desireable to have a device that is available
> world-wide, that doesn't have a lot of different versions of the hardware
> that are different.
>
> I also think that it'll be very hard to find a box that is decently priced
> that also will do gig speeds *and* will do AQM, since most home gateways
> that are this quick has hardware acceleration that in turn requires vendor
> proprietary kernels to drive the hardware.
>
> So if you want to fulfil both, I think we need two platforms. A CPU based
> platform that is quick enough to do AQM in and CPU forwarding in gig speeds
> will most likely have to be Intel based and cost 300 USD or more.

Certainly difficult when you bring being a Wifi AP into the mix.  This is
where a two-box solution might work better, running something like the wndr
as an internal router/AP, and using a separate box for the high-speed AQM
for the edge routing?  A dual-port GigE platform seems like it would be
easier to find (or build via mini-itx).

I'm nearly certain that something like a dual- or quad-codre i.MX6 at >1GHz
could do the work, but those just aren't available in a "home router"
package, which is the killer.  The fact that the home routers are commodity
products, and built to cost with a very narrow feature set makes it
exceedingly difficult to locate platforms that are viable for
experimentation.

Basically, we need a high-performance-networking version of a Raspberry Pi.

-Aaron