[Cerowrt-devel] [Bloat] fq_codel is two years old

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed May 14 21:25:15 EDT 2014

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 3:32 PM, Kathleen Nichols <nichols at pollere.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Rich.
>
> And to show you what an amazing bit of work that first fq_codel was, I have
> on my calendar that I first "exposed" CoDel to a small group in a
> meeting room
> and on the phone at ISC on April 24.

And we had all sorts of trouble with the phone, (eric didn't hear
much) and we then spent hours and hours afterwards discussing wifi
instead of codel... it was too much to take in...

me, I'd started jumping up and down in excitement about 20 minutes
into kathies preso...

May 3rd, 2012 was the last 24 hr coding stint I think I'll ever have.

https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/codel/2012-May/000023.html

Ahh, the good ole days, when bufferbloat was first solved and we all
thought the internet would speed up overnight, and we were going to be
rock stars, invited to all the best parties, acquire fame and fortune,
and be awarded medals and given awards. Re-reading all this brought
back memories.... (heck, there's still a couple good ideas in that
thread left unimplemented)

https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/codel/2012-May/thread.html

It looks by may 5th we were getting in shape, and then there were a
few other issues along the way with the control law and so on... and
eric rewrote the whole thing and made it oodles faster and then as
best as I recall came up with fq_codel on saturday may 5th(?) -

Ah, I haven't had so much fun in in years. My life since then seems
like an endless string of meetings, politics, and bugfixing.

The code went from sim/paper, to code, to testing, to mainline linux
in another week. I wish more research went like that!

commit 76e3cc126bb223013a6b9a0e2a51238d1ef2e409