[Cerowrt-devel] [Bloat] fq_codel is two years old

dpreed at reed.com dpreed at reed.com
Thu May 15 09:47:43 EDT 2014

Well done.  I'm optimistic for deployment everywhere, except CMTS's, the LTE and HSPA+ access networks, and all corporate firewall and intranet gear.

The solution du jour is to leave bufferbloat in place, while using the real fads: prioritization (diffserv once we have the "fast lanes" fully legal) and "software defined networking" appliances that use DPI for packet routing and traffic management.

Fixing buffer bloat allows the edge- and enterprise- networks to be more efficient, whereas not fixing it lets the edge networks move users up to more and more expensive "plans" due to frustration and to sell much more gear into Enterprises because they are easy marks for complex gadgets.

But maybe a few engineers who operate and design gear for such networks will overcome the incredible business biases against fixing this.

That's why all the efforts you guys have put forth are immensely worth it.  I think this is one of the best innovations in recent years (Bram Cohen's original BitTorrent is another, for fully decentralizing data delivery for the very first time in a brilliant way.) I will certainly push everywhere I can to see fq_codel deployed.

If there were a prize for brilliant projects, this would be top on my list.