[Cerowrt-devel] [Bloat] fq_codel is two years old

Kathleen Nichols nichols at pollere.com
Thu May 15 12:32:57 EDT 2014

Gosh, that's high praise. And what's really neat is that this was such a
team effort
where we don't even necessarily know each other! What's perhaps bad is that
this was a "volunteer" effort, though that also is a strength. I'm not
sure the
answer is for everyone to work for Google.

On 5/15/14 6:47 AM, dpreed at reed.com wrote:

> The solution du jour is to leave bufferbloat in place, while using the
> real fads: prioritization (diffserv once we have the "fast lanes" fully
> legal) and "software defined networking" appliances that use DPI for
> packet routing and traffic management.

I think diffserv could be used for good instead of evil.

> Fixing buffer bloat allows the edge- and enterprise- networks to be more
> efficient, whereas not fixing it lets the edge networks move users up to
> more and more expensive "plans" due to frustration and to sell much more
> gear into Enterprises because they are easy marks for complex gadgets.

The above is exactly what Van told me when he was trying to get me to
"paint the fence" of working on aqm again. (That volunteer effort again:
his employer at that time was not paying him to do this sort of thing, so
he had to interest someone to work with him.) I hope you people with big
platforms will continue to try to educate folks.

	Kathie